• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:25 PM - 5:25 PM PDT Countdown to Kickoff

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:25 PM - 8:25 PM PDT Chargers @ Broncos The Chargers hit the road and head to Denver to play the Broncos.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 10:00 PM PDT Post-Game Show The official San Diego Chargers post-game show with exclusive interviews with Mike McCoy, Chargers players, phone calls and comments breaking down the game.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM PST Countdown to Kickoff

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM PST Chargers @ Dolphins The Chargers take on the Dolphins at Sun Life stadium.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM PST Post-Game Show The official San Diego Chargers post-game show with exclusive interviews with Mike McCoy, Chargers players, phone calls and comments breaking down the game.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 11:05 AM - 1:05 PM PST Countdown to Kickoff

• Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 1:05 PM - 4:05 PM PST Raiders @ Chargers The Chargers take on the Raiders for the second time in the season.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM PST Post-Game Show The official San Diego Chargers post-game show with exclusive interviews with Mike McCoy, Chargers players, phone calls and comments breaking down the game.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 11:05 AM - 1:05 PM PST Countdown to Kickoff

Postgame Notes: Ravens at Chargers

Posted by Joel Price on September 20, 2009 – 6:25 PM

• Philip Rivers passed for a career-high 436 yards today, tying Dan Fouts, for the fourth-most prolific passing day in team history…Fouts happened to be in the broadcast booth at Qualcomm Stadium this afternoon, working as an analyst on CBS.
  • Included in Rivers’ day was a career-long 81-yard touchdown pass to Darren Sproles in the first quarter. The play tied for the ninth-longest pass play in team history.
  • Sproles finished the day with 278 all-purpose yards – 26 rushing, 124 receiving and 128 on kickoff returns. It was the ninth-best all-purpose day in team history. For Sproles, it also marked his second-consecutive 200-yard game as he accounted for 264 yards – 23 rush, 43 receiving, 10 punt return and 170 kickoff return – in Monday’s season-opener in Oakland.
  • Sproles’ 124 yards receiving were a career-high, as well as his first-ever 100-yard receiving game.
  • Vincent Jackson had the second-best receiving day of his career today with 141 yards, seven yards shy of his career-high of 148 against Oakland last Dec. 4, 2008.
  • It was Sproles’ ninth-career 200-yard game.
  • The Chargers reported only two injuries from today’s game, linebackers Shawne Merriman and Shaun Philips both suffered groin injuries.

Posted via email from Chargers Media

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Game Day, Notes | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Postgame Notes: Ravens at Chargers”

1. By Matt on Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

Is anyone going to say anything about Norve Turner and this last game? I thought this was a Chargers blog.

You know I have felt that the chargers had all the pieces to win a Super Bowl for the last few years, and I have also felt that Philip Rivers was an amazing quarter back and he is really starting to come into his own.

But what is really holding this team back? I think it became pretty clear yesterday with Norv Turner forcing his team to kick a field goal with one more down when they were on the 5 yard line.

Who does that!?

2. By Brian Raymond Callahan on Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

The Chargers need to find a replacement for L.T. He was the heart of their offense and flowed from him. Now he is unpredictable as far as playing week to week and his health. The Chargers cannot let this role on any longer as it is disruptive to their weekly attack.
    Brian R. Callahan
    San Diego

3. By Muncie on Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

First of all as good as L.T. is I don’t see any heart in him anymore. Haven’t seem any since last year when he stood on sideline with his visor down like a baby. I don’t care if he his 100% healthy he runs as if he is scared. Seccond of all, can some one tell me after a 436 yard passing day, starting center out and a greem offensive line, 4th and 2 with 30 seconds left against the premier defenseive squad in the NFL for 8 years, and with receivers taller then the corner backs covering them….why Chargers didn’t pass teh ball on the last play. Oh..thats right…..Norv Turner…proven looser. Turner said it was the right call because it was the same situation as a 4th and 1….what kind of garbage is that?

4. By RFERREL on Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

Once more, a dissapointing way of losing. Too many mental mistakes hurting this team. Although Rivers had a great passing game, he just continued to make mistake after mistake. He kept throwing the ball in Ravens traffice. Chargers are lucky there were no more interceptions. Penalized for delay of game on the goal line twice. Calling for a field goal on third down with 11 seconds to go. I am surprised the chargers are not 0-2. CMON, MAN

5. By Margaret on Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

Get rid of Norv Turner. There is far more talent here than is obvious with the ridiculous play calls that continue to be made. We made some bonehead mistakes here and there but the play calling compounded it.

6. By Doug on Sep 22, 2009 | Reply

Chargers where in the hell is your run defense? I’m getting a little fed up already after watching these first two weeks. The run game is tearing you up and in the past that has always been your strength on defense, but right now your opponents run game is putting you to shame. And Norv what in the heck are you doing?! Were you trying to catch one of the best defenses in the nfl off guard?? Trying to run it on fourth and two when the game is on the line? And to make it even more stupid..you have a pretty decent guy playing quarterback named Philip Rivers! I love you guys with a passion but you cannot be doing this to me every week..Get it together.

7. By Doug on Sep 22, 2009 | Reply

And one more thing..Tomlinson..you are my hero..but its time to play some football. You said all off season and preseason that you feel fantastic, so show us. I’m sure every single Chargers fan in the country agrees with me when I say that we miss you..the old you..I know that the old passionate, talented, almost unstoppable LT is still in there! Take this as a challenge..a challenge that you can’t do it..prove us wrong!!!

8. By Fritzie on Sep 22, 2009 | Reply

Margaret and I see eye to eye on Norv Turner. I am pretty upset. He’s never been a winner anywhere. Why did Spanos and Smith think otherwise? I have been a loyal fan for all 50 years. I was five years old when my father took me to Balboa Stadium to watch this fledging AFL team skyrocket. I’ve seen the great coaches, including Sid Gilman, Don Corryell. I’ve also seen outstanding quarterbacks go through here, like John Hadl, Dan Fouts, and yes–DREW BREES. After attending Sunday’s game, I am convinced of two things: we need a coach who is a winner who can make better call selections during crunch time. What a folly it was not to have made another pass attempt before the half on 3rd down with 10 seconds. Then, that run call on 4th and 2 and the games’ end was no different. Sorry, fellow fans, but although Rivers is talented, he is not the winner that Drew Brees. I’d much rather have Drew here with Marty. I think we would do far better than we did last season.

9. By SD-Chokers on Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

I’M SWITCHING TO THE RAIDERS. CHARGERS OR CHOKERS I SHOULD SAY ARE GARBAGE. EACH YEAR THE CHARGERS THINK THEY ARE THE TEAM DESTINED FOR SUPER BOWL. I’M TIRED OF HEARING THE SAME B.S. EVERY SEASON. THEY WERE IN SUPERBOWL BUT GOT THEIR BUTTS WHIPPED BY THE NINERS.
    CHOKERS! CHOKERS! CHOKERS! CHOKERS!

10. By Serfer on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

This was a dissappointing loss, and maybe to a superbowl winning team. Chargers vs Raiders was a good defensive battle. The team may have declined. I think LT gets too much attention, and they should use him as a decoy until the D’s loose their scent for him. When Steve McNair beat us it was perhaps the best chance we had. If they were going to take a safety, why did they not let LT run that thing around in the endzone and take 10 secs off the clock. We coulda, shoulda had a win there. This time I feel like we were weaker in the trenches, and maybe next year will be a Charger year. But I wouldn’t be jumpin on the raiders bandwagon if you hate choking! Rivers is much much better than most out there, and Russell is not even close.

11. By John Lindfield on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Hey why don’t you guys print all the truth about the game wrap ups ? Norv screwed up twice in that last game ,before half time ,and the last play of the game . Why OH WHY ? With the fantastic receiving corp the Chargers have -he should have managed a TD in Four plays – a running play with a diminutive Darryl Sproles,as good as he is in the open spaces was NOT an option that would work. You guys NEVER talk about the plays calls NORV screws up every week and we have a QB That Plays his heart heart out every week with the best guys to pass to in the NFL -he should be setting all kinds of records and YES one of the guys above me mentioned LT has NO Heart !! He is right -the guys has lost it -he is a fat cat sitting back collecting on a big contract and putting NOthing back -let him go home.!!!Until I see a huge improvement and a resolve to WIN the big one – I am not going to buy another seat ! Waiting for years now !!!

12. By vinny on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

GET RID OF THE defenseve CORD HE SUCKS…. THE DEFENSE
    YOU LOOKS LIKE A BUNCH OF GIRLS OUT THERE..NORV IS A DOPE ALSO
    THIS IS WORST TEAM YOU EVER HAD WITH ALL THAT GOOD TALLENT YOU HAVE. I CAN DO A BETTER JOB THEN YOU DOPES.YOU GUYS TOOK A SUPPER BOWL TEAM AND MADE THEM A SUPPER FLOP TEAM..IT MAKES ME SICK WATCHING THIS TEAM AFTER BEING A FAN FOR OVER 25 YEARS THAKS NORV AND YOUR DEFENCE CORD.WHY DONT YOU WALK OUT WILE YOU GUYS ARE 2 AND 1
    DENVER IS 3 AND 0 AND THEY HAVE NOBODY YOU SUCK SUCK SUCK THANKS ALOT