• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:25 PM - 5:25 PM PDT Countdown to Kickoff

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:25 PM - 8:25 PM PDT Chargers @ Broncos The Chargers hit the road and head to Denver to play the Broncos.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 10:00 PM PDT Post-Game Show The official San Diego Chargers post-game show with exclusive interviews with Mike McCoy, Chargers players, phone calls and comments breaking down the game.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM PST Countdown to Kickoff

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM PST Chargers @ Dolphins The Chargers take on the Dolphins at Sun Life stadium.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM PST Post-Game Show The official San Diego Chargers post-game show with exclusive interviews with Mike McCoy, Chargers players, phone calls and comments breaking down the game.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 11:05 AM - 1:05 PM PST Countdown to Kickoff

• Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 1:05 PM - 4:05 PM PST Raiders @ Chargers The Chargers take on the Raiders for the second time in the season.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM PST Post-Game Show The official San Diego Chargers post-game show with exclusive interviews with Mike McCoy, Chargers players, phone calls and comments breaking down the game.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 11:05 AM - 1:05 PM PST Countdown to Kickoff

Turner Excited About 2012 Chargers

Posted by Ricky Henne on August 31, 2012 – 7:21 PM

Head coach Norv Turner addressed the media moments after the team announced its 53-man roster.  Rather than lament over those he had to let go, Turner expressed excitement over the talented players that constitute the 2012 San Diego Chargers.

“To me, we’ve been able to put together a complete roster,” he began. “It’s balanced in terms of offense and defense.  I think it’s balanced in terms of veteran players and young up-and-coming players, and it’s got a good mix of new players to the Chargers organization whether it be draft picks or free agents. I think we’ve added to our athleticism and speed, so I’m excited about the roster we’ve put together.”

Now, with the start of the season only 10 days away, Turner is turning his attention towards the Monday night opener vs. the Raiders.

“Right now, the biggest thing is putting together a roster where we can put the best 46-man roster together to go play at the highest level we can on opening day up in Oakland.”

In order to do so, Turner admitted that the team could bring in outside players who were cut today by other teams.  As he spoke, the rest of his staff remained in the office sifting through the players who are now free agents, trying to determine if anyone out there could help the Chargers.

“I think everyone in the league looks to see who was cut,” he said. “Certainly we have some guys where we have some injury issues, and so naturally we’ll continue to look to find some guys to either provide depth or can step in when someone is out. That person can play a big part in our season…If we can add a guy that is obviously capable and ready to play (we’ll do so).  But to add a guy just to add a guy, that’s not what we’re looking for.”

What moves do you think need to be made to get the Bolts ready for season opener? Leave them in the comments below.

44 Responses to “Turner Excited About 2012 Chargers”

1. By Ganesh Subramanyam on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Norv must be on crack cocaine to be excited about this team! This to me is a team that doesn’t know what is going on and is going to finish this season 0-16. They badly need to clean house.

2. By Bill Frinchaboy on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Ganesh, this is not soccer.. Turner is our head coach and he always puts together a good team and game plan. Other teams do the same, so let’s strap up and play some football.

the Charger’s defense is so good this year that the offense will need to play ball control and control the clock. Staying healthy is the key to winning championships. not firing veteran coaches with winning records.
    this year the injuries to the center and the left side of the o line means trouble in Oakland. That doesn’t mean that the coach caused the preseason injuries and needs to be fired. We saw what happened to thechargers in 95 when they lost Bobby Ross as head coach. they got killed and went thru many coaches.

3. By darrel route on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

I saw good things fromt he O and the D this pre-season. There were a few negative plays,but they can be corrected. So dont panic,we will be fine. Playoffs!,here we come.

4. By dudddddde on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

He is only excited because he hasn’t had a chance to ‘F’ them up yet. Norv strikes fear in the Charger fans.

5. By Gabriel on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Can we get Dion Branch please. Rivers is getting picked so much again we need someone for shot passes able to add more with run yards afterwards. Royal and Meachem are too risky.

6. By Doug Van Slyke on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Ganesh.

7. By Doug Van Slyke on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

The Chargers biggest problem is the ownership.
    We need new owners who are football people.

8. By Doug Van Slyke on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

You could put a football / soccer ball / or baseball in front of Dean Spanos and who would’nt know which is which.

9. By Doug Van Slyke on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Come on A.E.G. and Farmers Field Los Angeles.

10. By dudddddde on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Spanos is not the problem. The problem is we have a GM that is willing to sit on a OC as the HC. HC that stayed to long. Shula, Cincinnati, Reid, Norv. Norv has brought every team he ever coached down. Raider, Redskins and now the Bolts. My fingers are sore from keeping them crossed.

11. By Ron McCord on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

If the Chargers don’t make the playoffs this year all Norv Haters will be rewarded so the way I look at it is this. We go to the Playoffs again. Or we don’t and a new coach and philosophy is brought in. I think that Aj dropped the crack he was smoking the last 4 years and had a good draft and offseason considering how dereft of talent this team was. I would only be concerned about his choice of coaches. Seems like he wants someone he can control. I would like to see Chucky here myself, he is an entertaining guy, still young and still has the fire to Coach. He did as much as Turner has done with allot less talent at Qb when he was with Tampa. I think he would be the right guy if this Charger team again fails to win the division. I mean if we dont win the division or playoffs what do we have to lose?

12. By Robert Detoito on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I can’t believe what I’m reading. Are any of you true charger fans? Just wondering because the first snap of the season hasn’t even been done yet and people are already selling this team short. For one Norv has been given another opportunity because there just isn’t anyone out there that is better. Plus, imagine trying to place a whole new offense in. People think the grass is always greener but I remember the days of Mike Riley, June Jones, etc. as coaches.

13. By dudddddde on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

chargers wanted to keep June Jones but wanted the job in hawaii. Those teams had no talent. Mike Riley wanted Tom Brady but Beathard said no.

14. By richard on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Robert you will be saying the same thing about Norv Turner for some very strange reason you so called Norv Lovers cant get over him , He is NOT A VERY GOOD HEAD COACH BY ANY STANDARDS. and since when are any of these people who dont like Norv not true charger fans .I guess only fans that are yes(I believe every thing you say without question fans)can be the true ones.

15. By Rich on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Could be worse. We could be the New York Jets. What a circus that is.

16. By dudddddde on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Cowboy fans say yes to everything and they are all in the bible belt.

17. By lyman on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

coaches like quarterbacks can sometimes get too much credit or too much blame. give me a team with players that care to play as hard as they can. also a team that limits dumb errors. staying healthy helps a whole bunch as well. i think this team has the potential to win 10 games.

18. By Pete on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

WOW! All you so-called experts, next year when there are openings for GM and HC you should apply seeing how you have all the answers. In the mean time SHUT UP AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM! GO CHARGERS

19. By David on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Its the same song n dance. Im sure if you were to go into other teams blog you would hear similar responses about their coach. ONLY ONE TEAM WINS THE SUPERBOWL!!! If you dont win your a loser period plain n simple so guess what we been losers and so has every other team not named the New York Giants….new year new season new team. I see alot of promise but Im a firm believer in dont tell me show me. But it wouldnt kill all the naysayers to show support in your team. If they blow it fine but lets let the season fold out before we predict the end of the world for the Chargers. BOLT UP OR GET GONE

20. By dudddddde on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

you can change the clothes but you cant change the person. This team still has NORV. NORV is the reason we will SUCK. 49er fans will tell you that a HC has everything to do with success. IF HC were not that important why would a team hire one in the first place? Norv is NOT a hc but a OC and with Rivers ints of late I doubt NORV is much more than a yes man to AJ.

21. By Tony on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Everyone says Norv is the reason we suck, and NOBODY can say WHY. Suck it up–you have no control over who is our coach. BE A TRUE FAN, AND QUIT WHINING YOU WHINY WHINERS! Jeez. Bunch of babies you all are.

22. By Tony on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

And we’re going to win about 10 games. We may have a slow start without V.Brown and Mathews, but we’ll do it. BOLT UP!

23. By Bill Nichols on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

I agree, quit your damn pissin and moaning. Bolt Up or get the hell out of here. Go bitch and whine on another teams web site. for gods sake man, act like a true fan, get behind your team if this is your team. If not go away fools. It’s not Norv, it’s not AJ, those guys do their jobs at the best of their abilities, and to tell you the truth, they have done fine. We just need a few breaks, a few balls to bounce our way, we missed the playoffs 2 years running by one freaking game. How many other teams can say that in our division. ZERO is the answer. Get your asses out there and root, root, root, for our beloved Chargers. Maybe a little less crappy vibes, and some good positive energy is what we really need. Let’s go baby, all the way Chargers, bolt up people!!!!!!

24. By Bill Nichols on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

By the way ” Richard” ever hear of the term “fair weather fans”?? That fits you exactly, I would like for you to tell us, oh wise one, exactly what it is that Norv could have done to change the outcome of the past few years? And don;t give me pie in the sky BS either, give us some real, examples, that actually could have changed the path, one that would have been feasible, not just your stupid moist dreams. Frankly I would prefer that you and your kind go root for the Raiders. I don;t believe you even know the meaning of what being a true fan is…….

25. By Mike Hernandez on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

How about everybody talking trash about the Chargers just root for another team cause I’m sick of listening to all the negative crap you guys are saying. You sound like my X-Bitch. I’ve been a Charger fan since the Dan Fouts days and I will always be a Charger fan no matter what. If the Chargers have a great season this year, then all you sissy little girls will jump on the band wagon again and you know who you are. There’s not to many true Charger fans out there so we have to just kick some ass. Were the underdog which makes us dangerous. GO CHARGERS!!!!! Lets have a hell of a season.

26. By Nick Juran on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Ganesh Subramanyam – the depth of your little insight is truly stunning, it must be great not to be held accountable for that statement .

27. By Fernie on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Show me your lightning bolts!! How about some support this season! Don’t abandon your team like last year. It’s going to be tight. Let’s make the difference that will get us into the playoffs!!! Home field advantage!!! Negative wannabee supporters go to the raiders.

28. By Ganesh Subramanyam on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

You all realize that if they don’t make the playoffs this year, they are going to be doing some serious housecleaning. I am sick of playing this guessing game with this team under nigger Norv Turner on which team will show up! Fucking ridiculous.

29. By dudddddde on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

we will be 6-10…

30. By noel on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

I THINK THE CHARGERS WILL BE GOOD THIS YEAR US LONG RIVER DONT THROW TOO MANY INTERCEPTION THEIR ,I LIKE THE DEFENCE NO QUESTION THEY ARE GOOD

31. By Mark in Oakland on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

EASY~ good grief all this negativity on here should be directed toward RAIDER FANS! Go to thier sites and take all that pessimism you have and dump it on them!

It’s all good its only a game we will never play. I am entertained. However; to sit back and talk smak about a profession we really have no idea of what it entails is sophmoric. It’s not that serious, or rather your opinions are not. Should you have such keen NFL management insight and sound professional football acumen, perhaps you should be employed by a professional football team, why don’t you quit your day job and go for it. IF not STFU.

Monday night can’t get here soon enough! Go Chargers

32. By Mark in Oakland on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

I took the liberty to insert my commentary into this fools post!

By Ganesh Subramanyam on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

You all realize that if they don’t make the playoffs this year, they are going to be doing some serious housecleaning. I am sick of playing this guessing game with this team under ( for give me for my racist terminology I am not very intelligent) Norv Turner on which team will show up! Fucking ridiculous

33. By dudddddde on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

I am available fore the hiring.

34. By Mark in Oakland on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Somebody have a job for dude? He can….. he can take your below average team and motivate them, coach them, train them, inspire them, mentor them, supervise them, and make them winners! Did i miss anything Dude? Post your resume on here and let’s take a look at where we can strengthen your skills and qualifications.

35. By Joe on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

going all the way thats all im saying

36. By ProPick on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Now Now boys and girls, lets not get down on the owners, GM and Head Coach so fast. This is a better team then last year, more faster talent on the Defense. now if Rivers can remember to throw the ball to one of his team mates that will solve a lot of the problems. They should be able to win this division (but I would have said that the last two years also)
    I do believe that Turner is here only because of the money that would have been paid to him if they dumped his last year.

Here’s to the Chargers who should win 10 games this year.

37. By Robert Martinez on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

What moves need to be made to win the opener? Simple get rid of Norv and AJ

38. By jesse Fulcher on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

need more wide outs Branch or Buress would help a lot

39. By Brian on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

The problem I see, is the same problem that has been an issue for the last 3 seasons and that’s the O line. How can you have a 92 million dollar QB and not protect your investment? It is proven when he has time, he takes average players and makes them superstars. When the O line is good, it makes holes for the run game. He throws too many INT’s because he gets pressured to much, causing him to make bad decisions, mostly throwing off his back foot. His will to win is a plus, but also a huge minus when he gets no protection. LT is consistently an issue and I’ll never understand why it is so hard to fix what seams so simple. O line! Why is Manning, Brady and Rogers great? Look at the time they get. I think Norv is a great OC, but have my reservations about him as HC. I’m not sure he can light the fire these players need, but I’m not there everyday to see for myself. Love my bolts! Hope we make a playoff run, but that is my opinion.

40. By Pete on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Ok… I see both sides here. The season hasn’t started yet, and already theres some negativity. BUT, I also see why these guys are being negative. The Chargers (after Fouts retired) were awful for a long time until Brees’ send-to-last season, and have been pretty competitive since Rivers srarted, but Rivers is getting older now, LT is already retired, and the legendary “window is closing/has closed” that all non-charger fans refer to, is starting to seem likt it applies.. I don’t think it makes you a fair-weather fan to be fed up with Norv’s soft, unmotivational coaching style. I have been a fan for over 30 years and always will love the chargers..but that doesn’t mean I want Norv as our head coach anymore. The guy has accomplished ZERO as a head coach in this league, and I’m really not even sure as to why any of you would think this would be any different this year???? We aren’t fair-weathered.. I guarantee if the chargers started 0-7, we’d still watch every week, and root for our team. To NOT LIKE a team’s coach or the team’s over-all situation does not make you fair-weathered. Some of us are not going to be dumbed down by blind loyalty. That is all. GO BOLTS, regardless!!!

41. By Supercharged on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Everybody needs to just chill out! Do any of us have any control over anything that happens with this team? Do I personally think Norv should go if we don’t make the playoffs this year? Yes!! In fact I’m still upset the way things ended with Marty. He is the guy that turned us into the powerhouse that we were for a few years. We were 14-2 that last season with him and we’ve been slowly going downhill ever since. WITH THAT SAID I am a chargers fan…I would give my left nut for a superbowl. Hell I’d give both my nuts. I’ll be the first one to admit that I would ball like a baby if they won it. So whoever the coach is, whoever the quarterback is, whoever our general manager is..I just sit back and watch me some football and hope and pray that this season is the season it happens..what more can I do? Whine and Moan like you guys about how they aren’t doing this right or that right? Just shut up and root for your team!!!

42. By bay area charger fan on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Lifetime fan here, as far back as i can remember, 1966 i think!
    I live and die with my Chargers, haven’t always liked or agreed with the managements decisions but I hope for the best every year. I just hope they don’t brake my heart again this season, too many years of the same thing.
    Lets all let the naysayers speak their minds, thats the beauty of a blog and their right to do so. Give Norv and AJ one more year then crucify them if the season falls apart, otherwise steer your hatred towards the F–king Jokeland Faiders and Payton Manning they are the San Diego haters!!!!

43. By Dim Lightning on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Go chargeres!! Its possible!!

44. By Scott on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Rivers needs to believe in himself more and make the plays we know he can! Those interceptions have got to stop! Also, our receivers need to become much more aggressive in attacking the catch, quit tipping the ball, and step up to help Phillip. I will always love the Bolts, but it takes a heck of a lot of effort to make it to the Superbowl, and its time for this team to break through!