• Tue., Apr. 22, 2014 6:00AM PDT First Day Players Return Players return to Chargers Park to begin the offseason workout program.
  • Fri., May. 02, 2014 11:00AM - 1:30PM PDT STAR-PAL Celebrity Waiter Luncheon Local celebrities and Chargers players team up to help STAR/PAL raise money for San Diego's underserved youth as they offer their services colecting tips as "celebrity waiters."
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM PDT NFL Draft - Round 1 The 2014 NFL Draft will be held May 8 through 10 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
  • Fri., May. 09, 2014 5:00PM PDT NFL Draft - Rounds 2-3 The 2014 NFL Draft will be held May 8 through 10 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
  • Sat., May. 10, 2014 1:00PM PDT NFL Draft - Rounds 4-7 The 2014 NFL Draft will be held May 8 through 10 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
  • Tue., May. 27, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers begin organized team practice activity.
  • Wed., May. 28, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Thu., May. 29, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Mon., Jun. 02, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Tue., Jun. 03, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.

Guest Blog: Nick Novak

Posted by Ricky Henne on October 24, 2012 – 6:15 PM

The following was written and submitted by kicker Nick Novak

It’s been an emotional week with the team’s decision regarding Nate Kaeding.  I’ve treated every week since I’ve been here like I’m the kicker, but to see him get hurt like he did and have his season here end, it was still tough to see. Nate worked his tail off to get healthy after last season, so I feel badly for him.  He is a great guy and I wish him all the best.

It’s also been a whirlwind month for me since I rejoined the Chargers. After I got released at the end of camp, I spent my time training at SDSU. I was kicking with some of the other kickers in the area like Michael Husted and John Carney.  So I was just kicking in the area when I got the call, and I think I mentioned it before that I was so excited to get it that I backed up into a pole.  This is what I’ve worked for my entire career, to kick in this league.  And to kick for the team I grew up rooting for as a kid, it makes it extra special.

I’m very lucky to have Coach Bisaccia here.  He’s one of the best and knows how to get the most out of you.  At this point in my career I’m blessed to have him as a coach.  I know a lot of times fans don’t get to see much that a coach does, especially at practice, but he is an amazing guy to work with.

A lot of people come up to me and ask what kicks in my career stand out in my mind.  Every kick is special, but the two that stick out in my mind was a game-winner I hit when I was with the Redskins to beat the Cowboys, and then another one I kicked to beat the Seattle Seahawks in overtime.  But to be honest, every field goal I kick in the National Football League is an honor.  When you see that ball go through the uprights, the rest of the guys work so hard all game, so when you’re called upon to put points on the board, there’s no other feeling in the world quite like that.

The other question I get is how I handle the pressure when the game is on the line.  But I don’t find it to be pressure.  I find kicking to be the best job in the world because it’s all in what we make of it.  If you have the right mindset that you’re just going out there to do what you’ve trained your entire life to do, that’s just fun.  It’s not pressure.  What’s pressure is when you are making only $20,000 a year and need to feed an entire family and kids.  That puts it all into perspective.

Football is really a huge part of my life.  But when I’m not kicking, I like to wind down by watching movies.  Some of my favorites are “Chariots of Fire” and “Braveheart.”  Those are the kind of movies I watch a lot, so if you have any recommendations let me know.

Well that’s about it for me.  I want to thank you all for reading this blog.  And thanks for sticking with us.  We still control our destiny, and there’s nothing but great things I feel in the future for us.  So keep the faith.

Nick

14 Responses to “Guest Blog: Nick Novak”

1. By chris on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Hello Nick
    I don’t know if you will remember this, but at the private training camp for season ticket holders, you graciously walked up to my friend and I and gave me your autograph. I asked you , how come they don’t get rid of keading and make you the kicker? You said, I wish! We got our wish! Welcome back to the BOLTS! Hope to see you out there for many years to come!!!! Our next wish…. How many kicks are you going to make in the SUPERBOWL!

2. By Rory Jackson on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick, I’m a kicker for my high school team, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions… 1.How hard is it to be able to kick in the NFL? How hard is it to get noticed for the Draft? 2. How much does a kicker make? 3.Do you know of any really good kicking camps? Thanks for the advice!!! Good luck on the rest of your season and go Chargers!!!!

3. By Jesse Hill on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick.. great to see you back out there kicking for the chargers.. i have a question… How does a kicker get the ball to bend back and through the up right?? is it the wind or something you do to the ball?? Good luck this season and i be watching the games from Mississippi.. Go Chargers!!!!!!

4. By Humbolt on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Just keep up the frequent touchbacks on kickoffs, Nick. Thank you.

5. By robert cruit on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick, I know you have heard this since u have come back to the Chargers as their Kicker, just want u to knnow that it is a good time now you have gotten into the League. Keep up the good work and please help us to go to the Superbowl. Go Chargerssssssssssssssss\

ps I will be rooting for you and my team from Florida so as you can see Charger fans are all over the different states..at least the faithful ones are..

6. By Daniel Rivera on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Nick! do your best and remember… SD CHARGERS ALL THE WAY!
    You are your own worst enemy, just understand the mental aspect of kicking, and you will F***ing rock every stadium with every PAT, Field Goal, and Touchback you land.

Be calm and remember that you are living your dream and no one can take that away from you, except yourself.

7. By Mark on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Nice to know we have the luxury of replacing a quality guy with another quality guy. I like that I feel confident when you take the field! CAN YOU THROW A PASS?

8. By Mark on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

“CAN YOU THROW A PASS?” is not a slam on Rivers, what I meant was in the form of a fake FG…Holder flips to you, sprint right, short TD toss to any of the TE’s!

9. By Eric on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Sure feel lucky to have you Nick. If you have not seen it try ” Things to do When your Dead in Denver” remember, boat drinks.

10. By Chris on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Nick, you’re awesome and I can’t wait to see you suit up permanently for the BOLTS!

11. By vince on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Funny how this blog is one sided…Nick wont respond to any of the questions
    I just wanted to say its nice for Nick to get the kicker position but what does he think about his team performing in such a mediocre way…game after game…season after season…just dropping games like turnovers…

12. By J on Oct 29, 2012 | Reply

Lets get real here folks! When is Norv being fired, and why is San Diego SUCKING SO BAD?????

This is what we get after our off week? A loss to the Browns, are you fu%king kidding me?! You should be embarrassed!!!!

13. By J on Oct 29, 2012 | Reply

Oh yah, before I forget. Bench that little girl/bit@h that we call our running back, and put Jackie back in. Ryan has done NOTHING for this team except being injured from the day he signed with us.

Can you say Porcelain Doll! You touch this kid and he breaks, or fumbles the football. ENOUGH is ENOUGH SPANOS, take the bull by the horns, grab your balls, and fix your team.

14. By Mike R on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick,,,glad you are back but it is tough losing Nate like this. He was a great kicker and wish him well. I am hoping to see a change in my bolts. I have been a charger fan forever and I still support my team. I keep shaking my head these last games tho. I don’t know what the answer is but i question is it time for Norv and AJSmith to take a walk. I say this because back when we had Shotty and we were 11-2 ,,then they fired Shotty made no sense to me…Bottom line win games and it shuts everyone up….

keep it soaring thru the up rites…..

mike from colton