• Fri., May. 02, 2014 11:00AM - 1:30PM PDT STAR-PAL Celebrity Waiter Luncheon Local celebrities and Chargers players team up to help STAR/PAL raise money for San Diego's underserved youth as they offer their services colecting tips as "celebrity waiters."
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM PDT NFL Draft - Round 1 The 2014 NFL Draft will be held May 8 through 10 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
  • Fri., May. 09, 2014 5:00PM PDT NFL Draft - Rounds 2-3 The 2014 NFL Draft will be held May 8 through 10 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
  • Sat., May. 10, 2014 1:00PM PDT NFL Draft - Rounds 4-7 The 2014 NFL Draft will be held May 8 through 10 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
  • Tue., May. 27, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers begin organized team practice activity.
  • Wed., May. 28, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Thu., May. 29, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Mon., Jun. 02, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Tue., Jun. 03, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.
  • Wed., Jun. 04, 2014 6:00AM PDT OTA Offseason Workout The Chargers resume organized team practice activity.

Nick Hardwick Blog: I Feel Like a Kid Again

Posted by Ricky Henne on December 6, 2012 – 4:39 PM

Nick HardwickThe following was submitted by Chargers center Nick Hardwick.

So I’m not even sure who’s going to be reading this blog, but I want to say hi to everybody. Maybe my parents are going to read this…that would be fun! Hi mom and dad, I’ll facetime you later this week!

I really love San Diego. I’ve got great, unbelievable neighbors. We look out for each other and each other’s homes. We spend a lot of time together. I found a great little nook over in the Point Loma and Ocean Beach area, and I’ve been incredibly lucky to have that for the last nine years we’ve been there.

But overall, I just love this place. I mean shoot, it’s one of the only places in America you can go out and go to football practice and wear shorts and a t-shirt every day of the year. Everyone else is in a bubble or wearing sweatpants freezing, and we’re just incredibly lucky out here. I truly love this place.

I’ve got a young son who is almost one named Hudson Harold Hardwick. Triple H. My dad’s a triple H named Herman Harold Hardwick the third, but my wife wouldn’t approve Herman so he’s Hudson and is starting his own lineage. He’s become my life. Once you accept the fact that you’ve got a child and you’re responsible to take care of him, it’s just an extension of you. He’s a part of me, and I’m a part of him. I love going home and taking care of him and spending time with him. He’s walking now which is unreal. Everything’s just going so fast. It’s been a really fun time and amazing watching him grow. It’s given me a new lease on life. I’m 31 years old, but I feel like a kid again. Every day I’m excited to come to work, have a great time here and bust my butt, and then come home and bust my butt at home. I’m just having a great time.

We’re on the road this weekend in Pittsburgh. Road trips for me consist of a lot of sleep on the plane and a lot of food. Then it’s all about honing in and getting your mind right for the game. Pittsburgh feels like the home of football. It truly is a great place to play and they are a great team with a strong history. They know exactly what they’re doing. It’s going to be a tough task but we’re up for it. I’m really excited to go there and so are the rest of the guys to go and raise hell in Pittsburgh.

One of my favorite things going on the road is seeing all the Chargers fans that follow us. That means a lot to see them traveling to other cities to see us, spending their hard earned money to take a little vacation to watch us play football. It’s pretty amazing and makes you feel really special. It’s a good feeling.

So that about does it. Keep cheering hard for us. We’re busting our tails at work and hopefully this week we can come out of this slump we’ve been in. That would be great for us. The San Diego Chargers have never beaten Pittsburgh at home in the regular season and we hope to do that this weekend.

Nick

21 Responses to “Nick Hardwick Blog: I Feel Like a Kid Again”

1. By Tina on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

WOW, you really are so down to earth. Sounds like you are in this for the love of the game. I as a fan can appreciate that. I feel that the position of Center is on of the most important , grueling and pain staking positions to have to play. I love The Chargers as does my boyfriend. Not one of those fair weather fans. We have our charger bolt tattoos permantantly on us and we watch every game and cheer like hell win or lose. Keep a chin up and things will get better on the field. Best of luck against Pittsburg!

2. By Mark Fujiwara on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Nick!,
    Great blog!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and letting the fans into your life!
    I can’t speak for all the fans but for me you are much appreciated and loved in San Diego aka
    America’s Finest City!
    Good luck in the Steel city!

Mark

3. By Rocket on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

JUST WIN BABY !!!!!

4. By Garrett on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Great post bro! Glad to hear everything is going so good!!! GOOD LUCK IN PIT. GO BOLTS!!!!

5. By walter on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Damn glad to have you here dude. I hope we can change things back after this season. Fan 4life here and I can’t wait until you get a ring. All the best to you and your family over the holidays, stay safe, take care. BOLTS

6. By Charger Greg on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Alright Nick!

7. By JEFF on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Howdy Nick,
    I have always been impressed with the way you carry yourself…..win or lose. This season has been tough on everyone….players, coaches , and fans.
    Your attitude is unbelievable! Please come back next year, even though there may be new coaches/players/etc. You are the current foundation of the Chargers OL and spokensman for the team. Chargers Forever….win or lose!

Kick some P-Burg Ass!

8. By Marvin on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Nick. Your passion for the game is apparent not only through this blog but also your post game interviews. We have a football league out here in Okinawa Japan called the OYFL. You should Google it and check it out sometime. My son is a HUGE Fan of yours. He’s such a huge fan that he wears the number 61 on his jersey soley because you are his favorite player in the NFL. He has played Center for two years, however, moving up a division has placed him on D Line because of his small size and his difficulty handling a larger football at Center. Still, he sports number 61 with pride. Thank you for your passion for the game and the San Diego Community and GO CHARGERS!

9. By Chargerfan65 on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick,
    I have been a bolts fan since 1984 seen a lot of o lines come and go and i think you rank up with the best. I hope I will still be around to see you go in the charger hall of fame (i know you will) and to see you in the canton hall of fame. Now to your blog i agree 100 percent I was a mess wanted to party and hang with my friends then my first was born and my whole world changed. I became the guy i made fun of. Cut my hair and got a good job. But as great as it was to have my 3 girls i have my first grandchild and it is unbelivable just wait yull see. anyways even though were out of the playoff picture play hard and stay healthy we neeeeed you in the years ahead when were in the superbowl. I still and always will have the faith. CHARGERS FAN FOREVER!!!!!!!!

10. By Adriana on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick!

Great post and awesome attitude!!! Will so totally be cheering for you guys. See you in OB =}

11. By Jim Harvey on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Nick, You are a great player and a standup guy. Us O.B. and Point Loma Locals are proud to have you in our neighborhood. Always good seeing you at the Venetian Restaurant. Merry Christmas to you Jaime and Hudson. Cheers Jim

12. By Roman Rebelo on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Nick, thanks for sharing bro. I don’t know if you remember me but I’m that UPS guy who will run into you every once in a while and have a little convo with. San Diego needs and appreciates guys like you to represent. Thank you for busting your tail and being a true family man. Good luck in Pittsburgh! Bolt Up!

13. By Kurt on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Keep grinding, Nick. And come back next year. No retirement talk until 2014!

14. By Mike Haluska on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Hey Nick – Congrats on a hell of a career! How about doing Purdue’s new football coach a favor and maybe help pull in a few Southern California recruits?

15. By John B on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

I can relate to all the great things you said about San Diego and having a son. You have alot of great moments to come. I liked the positive vibe to your post, but the picture they attached to your post has got to go. It’s seriously incongruous with your perspective. Have them snap a photo while your thinking of your family or team mates and right next to it place a photo of your best impersonation of a Kris Dielman game face just before the snap.

16. By charlie on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

Margaret`s bl0g is great, last Thursday I bought a new BMW M3 after having earned $9177 this – 5 weeks past and also 10k this past month. it’s really the best-work I have ever done. I started this four months/ago and practically straight away was bringing in minimum $80, p/h. I use the details on this website http:\\goo.gl\ILuMH

17. By Louann on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

Hello Nick, Just wanted to say hello. You won’t remember me but I worked at the same company in Indianapolis where your Mom & Dad worked. I can remember when you use to come in with your Dad to the credit union where I worked at. Who would have ever known that I would be reading your blog on the computer so many years later!

Congratulations on your son! It sounds like you are a very proud Dad.

Best wishes to you & keep up the good work!

18. By Michael on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

Terrific win in Pittsburgh!!!!! O-line dominated.

19. By chilehed on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Great game! I was there at Heinz Field, as I am every time in Pittsburgh, since I live just a few miles from Pittsburgh in West Virginia. I also was KC for the game at Arrowhead back in September. Keep up the good work and enjoy OB. Have a Roberto’s Carne Asada burrito for me!

20. By Ron Thomson on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Nick
    Good to hear your doing so well. Glad to hear about Hudson and the enjoyment you and wife have with him. I’m always following and all the ex Purdue players. Keep up the great work. Say hi to Shaun or me.
    Ron T. Coach T

21. By Ledwardg on Dec 19, 2012 | Reply

Do you miss having Goff on your right side?